The first time I made this soup I brought it in a flask out to the Elephant pitches of BSB ….
… myself, Sylvia, Phil, Aonghus and Caoimhe had volunteered to coach (aka babysit) the kids Gaelic Football Club
It was an enjoyable training session, but freeeeeezing cold. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to drink something warm and soothing than that day – and this was the perfect thing for it…
I’m still working on the right amount of chillis for hotness – one large one is definitely not enough – will keep you posted!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
4 shallots, chopped
2 small fresh red chillis, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass (I am not a fan of lemongrass so I leave this out)
500ml chicken stock
350ml coconut milk
475g peeled and diced pumpkin or squash
1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over low heat.
- Cook garlic, shallots, chillies and lemon grass until fragrant.
- Stir in chicken stock, coconut milk and pumpkin; bring to the boil.
- Cook until pumpkin softens.
- In a blender, blend the soup in batches to a smooth or slightly chunky consistency, whatever you prefer. Serve garnished with basil leaves.